Sunday, September 7, 2014

Welcoming Ryan Lawrence Hill

Ryan decided to make his debut to the world a week early! I was not prepared for this!! I was hoping he would actually come a few days late because I had a few things I wanted to accomplish before he came and also I wanted my mom to be in town. However, we are so happy to have him and he is the sweetest little guy! Now for a little birth story:

Tuesday morning went as normal, at Hallie's preschool they were celebrating her summer birthday so we brought in some Spider-Man cookies. Reid was so excited to be able to go in and celebrate with her. He wouldn't stop talking about it all morning until we got there. We got home at about noon and had lunch. Then at about 1 I started having contractions that were actually a little painful. I didn't think too much of it, but let Nate know at work because we only have one car at the moment (our second is in the shop--that's another story) so in case I really was in labor I wanted to pick him up sooner so I could drive without too much trouble. They slowed down, but then picked back up at about 3:00 so I kept trying to keep myself down which made them slower. I had to go and pick Adalie up at 3:30 and I knew this would make them come faster. Sure enough they did, but I was able to hold out and let Nate finish work and I picked him up and had him drive home because I was contracting while driving. Once we got home I wanted everything pack for my kids who we later dropped off  with a friend. I laid in bed hoping the contractions would stop, but they didn't. Nate made dinner and oversaw the packing. I got together a hospital bag. I still wasn't sure I was in actual labor, because my other 3 came on much faster. We dropped the kids off who were BEYOND excited to be having a sleep over and that their new sibling was coming! Nate and I laughed as we were driving to the hospital because with the other three it was like a scene from a movie with me breathing like crazy in lots of pain. There wasn't much excitement with this one. When we got to the hospital we had to enter through the ER and a nurse took me up in a wheelchair. I was totally fine and didn't contract once. After getting everyone ready and all that goes with it, I really didn't want to be sent home. I was dilated to a 4 when we got there at about 7pm.  I wanted to do a water delivery with this one, but they won't let you into the water until you are at a 5. So by 9 pm the tub was filled and I was ready to get in. From about 9:40 (I kept asking what time it was) until he was born at 10:21 was hell! The last 20 minutes I thought I might die! It was so hard because in my mind I didn't know how close I was. Thinking it could be another 2 hours freaked me out! Luckily he came out and I was done! The great thing was immediately following the pain we knew it was a boy which I was so excited about! That was exactly what I needed in that moment. Then they moved me to the bed where I could finally relax. I was a little disappointed with this labor and delivery experience. Another midwife had to deliver me, who was sooo lame. I think she said about 10 words to me through the whole thing--yeah thanks for the coaching! In the end I finally yelled at her to tell me what was going on, if the head was out etc. and the only response I was getting was "you're getting there"---that doesn't help a woman in crucial pain! Also I wanted pain meds immediately following so I could completely relax, it took THREE HOURS before they gave me anything!! They kept telling me they were going to get it and I had to remind them 3 times!! Other than that it all went well.



Hallie was so excited to have Reid in her classroom

In between contractions getting ready to get in the tub

It's a BOY!




I missed this little man, I think he missed me too!


The first time they saw him

My boys!

Queen size bed at the hospital

Family of six


Coming home

Reid just getting comfortable

My burrito

Funny story, I was pumping and Reid came over to me and was very interested and asked if he could have some. HA!! I was hesitant for a second but gave him a cup and he loved it!

The girls waiting for grandma to come out of the airport

The star of the show

1 comment:

Courtney N said...

Congrats to you and your adorable family!! I'm sorry that you had a such a bad experience with your midwife. I can't even imagine the frustration! Have fun with your new baby! He is too cute :-)